What are issues facing Alaskans today
related to transportation and communication?
![]() |
| Construction on the Glenn Highway |
The main issue that is facing Alaskans today for their
transportation system is also affecting the rest of the United States,
maintenance. We have built a very
impressive system here in Alaska cutting through some of the most inhospitable
terrain and climate. But if you look at when they were built it was decades
ago. The Glenn Highway (1942) The Richardson
Highway (1920s) are just 2 examples. The state is now trying to just maintain what
has been built. Without large federal
projects most of the state money just keeps a holding pattern on their conditions.
| Map of the different highways in Alaska |
Besides the issue of money it is the limited population that many of these roads would serve. It is very hard to justify the expense of building a multimillion dollar road to a community of 100. The issue of the bridge to nowhere still haunts the state and now the bar to build a new road has been set very high. In my village they have talked about a road that would connect them to Valdez but most people are resistant due to the fact that it would change the village forever. This is another issue that most people don't think about when a road is suggested.
What were the
challenges in the development of communication systems?
![]() |
| Walking the Valdez glacier |
The resiliency of the Alaskan
communication systems has been very impressive and the readings clearly show
that. No matter what the communication
system; be it mail, or telecommunications they were all dramatically affected
by 4 things: distance, weather, geography, technology. The establishment of the
US postal service at the outset of the handover shows in importance of
communication. While it took a while for it to move beyond Sitka with any
regularity attempts were made to spread it farther north. The sheer distance
between points made contact with the lower states slow added in the rugged
conditions and possible weather delays times of over a year were not unheard
off. I have this image of men climbing up the glacier out of Valdez taking the
“All American Rout” packing the mail with them.
The other thing that I was impressed to learn was how much mail was
hauled by dog sled. It puts the Pony
Express to shame when you think about what dog sleaders had to put up with to
deliver the mail.
| Alaskan sled dog mail carrier from 1910 |
It
was the invention of air mail that was able to give Alaska the first regular
mail service and over come so many of the challenges that normally hindered the
mail. Now only weather could really stop
the mail and I am going to tell you based off my mail situation “Neither
snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift
completion of their appointed rounds.”
This is not true and all of these stop my mail from coming. Now the mail is the lifeline of many towns
around Alaska. It provides not as much
communication but a way of surviving with all the food deliveries.
Extend: How dependent is your community on air transportation?
![]() |
| Alaska Air Transit over Tatitlek |
Living off of the road system is a completely new situation
for me. Growing up in suburb of
Portland, Oregon I never was without an opportunity for food or outside
entertainment. Now that I am in Tatitlek
I have learned how fragile our communication is with the outside world. My village has no regular air service and is
charter only. So when I want to leave it
is hope that another person has chartered a flight or plunk down $1300 for my
one way ticket. Almost all the food for
the village comes in by air and all of the mail. Since our mail comes in by air
we are often cut off for weeks with no possibility of packages going in or out. Air is not our only way in but is the fastest
and most practical for small items. By
sea Valdez is only 30 miles away but not a lot of people have boats and even in
Valdez items are expensive.
Other Blogs
My Cove and
beyond uses great pictures to tell the story. I am impressed how he was able to get them
all to line up and look that well. Also
I was impressed that he was able to find so many different ones.
Miss Mannan had a great write up this week. The section about the rail transportation system right on.
Alaska Reflections: I was impressed with the embedded video this week. I have not been so daring to try and figure it all out yet. Also the video added a great element to the blog.
Reflection
This week was hard for me due to my schedule but I found the reading easy and very interesting. The amount of effort that was put into each different communication and transportation component boggles the mind at times. Just thinking about how long it would take to string the telegraph system one post a time. I am looking forward to the next module but also glad for the break.



I like how you made connections between your life in Portland and your life now. When I first read that if you wanted to fly out, you just had to hope someone was leaving, too, I thought "how could someone do that?" But then I realized that I grew up in a small town (connected, but seemingly distant) that if you wanted to get somewhere you also had to hope that someone else was going, too.
ReplyDelete